Dependent Visa: How to Bring Your Family to Japan

dependent visa japan
Perhaps the most popular article on this blog at this point is my guide on How to Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility and Spouse Visa for Japan. But I often get questions there about Japanese Dependent Visas, as well.

This article, I hope, will make that process clear.

How to Get a Dependent Visa to Bring Your Family to Japan

Of course, we all want to live together with our family. But when you first come to Japan, it can be hard to understand how to do that. If you have one of the Residence Status listed below, you will be able to apply for a Dependent Visa for your spouse and children.

First, let’s get clear on who you can bring to Japan on a dependent visa.

  1. Your (legally married) spouse
  2. Your (legal) children

Who Cannot be Your Dependent

You cannot apply for a Dependent Visa for a parent or other relative, regardless of whether or not they depend on you for income.
You cannot apply for a Dependent Visa for a fiance.
You cannot apply for a Dependent Visa for your spouse’s children from previous marriages if you have not legally adopted them as your own.

Statuses Eligible to Apply for Dependent Visas

Almost all international residents in Japan are eligible to bring their family to Japan as Dependents. As long as your Residence Status is in the list below, you’ll be able to apply.

  • 教授 Professor
  • 芸術 Artist
  • 宗教 Religious Activities
  • 報通 Journalist
  • 高度専門職 Highly Skilled Professional
  • 投資・経営 Investor/Business Manager
  • 法律・会計業務 Legal/Accounting Services
  • 医療 Medical Services
  • 研究 Researcher
  • 教育 Instructor
  • 技術・人文知識・国際業務 Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services
  • 企業内転勤 Intra-company Transferee
  • 介護 Nursing Care
  • 興行 Entertainer
  • 技能 Skilled Labor
  • 文化活動 Cultural Activities
  • 留学 Student*
Additional Criteria for Student Residence Status Holders

If you are living in Japan on a Student status, then the type of school you are attending determines whether or not you can apply for a dependent visa for your family.

Types of Schools that Can apply for a Dependent Visa Types of Schools that Cannot apply for a Dependent Visa
Graduate School (Doctor, Master, or Research Student)
Advanced Vocational School (Specialized Course, Higher Course, General Course)
University (Undergraduate, Auditor, Elective Course Student, Research Student, Japanese Language Course Student)
Japanese Language Institution (Advanced vocational school of specialized course, preparatory courses, others)
日本語教育機関 (専修学校専門課程、準備教育課程、その他)
Junior College (Regular Student, Auditor, Elective Course Student, Japanese Language Course Student)
Senior High School, Junior High School, Elementary School
Technical School

You’ll see that there are several options for Japanese language, so if you are in Japan studying Japanese, you may wonder which applies to you. The simple answer is to look at your institution. If the institution is a university or junior college (i.e. if it also grants associates degrees or higher in other fields), then you would be eligible to apply for a Dependent Visa. If you are studying Japanese at an advanced vocational school or at a dedicated Japanese language school, you would not be eligible to apply for a Dependent Visa.

Other Residence Statuses

Someone who is living in Japan as a Dependent cannot have their own Dependent.
There are a few other statuses, such as Trainee and Designated Activities, that are not eligible to bring family members.
Other statues, such as Spouse of Japanese National, Permanent Resident, Diplomat, etc., have other methods to bring their family members to Japan and will not need the Dependent Visa process.

Can I Bring my Family With Me to Japan at the Same Time?

It depends on your employer.

Certain types of companies in Japan have special authorization to accelerate their Certificate of Eligibility application process for foreign employees and simultaneously apply for Dependent Visas for their spouses. Those companies are able to get Certificates of Eligibility for both the employee and the dependents within about 2 weeks from application.

If you are coming to Japan as a student, researcher, or working for anything less than a large enterprise, then you will not be able to bring your dependents to Japan at the same time as you. After you arrive in Japan, you will have to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for your dependents so they can join you Japan. That application process can take up to three months. Skip down to the instructions below.

What Companies Can Apply Simultaneously for Dependent Visas?

According to the Ministry of Justice, companies designated as Category 1 or Category 2 are eligible for the accelerated Certificate of Eligibility application process, provided that they are paying you enough to support your family members as well.

Category 1 and 2 companies must be “of a certain size” and make their present operating situation clear through public documentation. Specific examples include:
Category 1

  • Companies listed on the Japanese stock exchange
  • Mutual insurance companies
  • National or regional public organizations (公共団体 kokyo dantai)
  • Independent administrative institutions (独立行政法人 dokuritsu gyosei hojin), Special public corporations (特殊法人 tokushu hojin), Specially-authorized corporations (特別認可法人 tokubetsu ninka hojin), Public organization-authorized public service organizations (公益法人 koeki hojin)
  • Tax-exempt public benefit corporations listed in Table 1 of the tax exempt corporations list.

Category 2: Individuals or organizations that paid over 15,000,000 yen in income tax during the previous fiscal year.

If you are to be employed in Japan and want to know if your company can apply simultaneously for your dependents’ certificates of eligibility, the best thing to do is ask them directly!

Applying for a Dependent Visa Yourself

If you have to bring your family to Japan yourself, you will need to start with applying for their Certificate of Eligibility. Approval can take up to three months, so get started as soon as you can after you arrive in Japan.

As usual with the Immigration Bureau, the information available in English is vague. The requirements below are translated from the Japanese webpage:

Dependent Certificate of Eligibility Required Documents

  1. Completed application form. You can download the form from the Immigration Bureau website.
  2. One ID-quality photo: 30mm wide by 40mm high, showing the applicant (your dependent) from the chest up, facing forward, with no hats or background.
    Write the applicant’s name on the back and attach it to the application form in the designated spot
  3. One self-addressed reply envelope with 392 yen in stamps attached.
  4. One of the following documents to prove your relationship:
    1. Family Register
    2. Certificate of acceptance of registration of marriage
    3. Marriage certificate
    4. Birth certificate
    5. Any other document that can be accepted as meeting the requirements of the previous items

    Note: Any documents in a foreign language must have a Japanese translation attached.

  5. Copy of the supporter’s (you) Residence Card or passport. (Submit copy of the Residence Card if you have it!)
  6. Proof of employment/activity and financial resources.
    1. If the supporter is engaged in business management or income-generating activities:
      (a) 1 copy of certificate of employment or business license (must show supporter’s occupation); and
      (b) Certificate of Residence Tax amount and payment showing one full year of tax payment. (Acquired from the City Hall where you resided as of Jan 1.
      *If you have not been in Japan long enough to acquire a Certificate of Residence Tax showing a full year of tax, consult with the Immigration Bureau. A certificate of employment with salary may be sufficient.
    2. If supporter is not employed or earning income through operating a business:
      (a) A bank account balance statement in the supporter’s name or scholarship award statement showing the amount of award and period of payment.
      (b) Documents equivalent in nature to (a) that show proof of sufficient finances for the applicant to be able to meet their expenses while in Japan.
  7. Proof of identity, in case of application by proxy.

It is acceptable to fill out the application form in English, but all documents submitted as evidence must be in Japanese or be accompanied by a translation.

Financial Resources for your Dependent

As a general rule, 80,000 yen per month is considered sufficient resources for one person. Since you will be living with your dependent, you don’t need to double that for each person, but count on adding at least 40,000 for a spouse and a little less than that for each child (depending on their age).

As an example, I know of MEXT scholars who were successful in bringing a spouse and two children to Japan with a total income of 145,000 yen.

The Dependent Residence Status does not allow your spouse or children to work in Japan, so you need to plan to support them from your income. Your spouse will be eligible to apply for a work permit (called “Permission to Engage in Activities Other than that Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”), but they will be limited to working no more than 28 hours per week. This is not going to be enough for your spouse to support him/herself.

A dependent is able to search for a full time job and use that to apply to change to a working residence status. However, finding a full-time job in Japan is quite difficult without some level of fluency in the language.

All of that will come later, once your spouse is in Japan. But it’s a good idea to have a clear understanding of your financial situation in advance.

Applying for the Japanese Dependent Visa

Once you have your spouse and/or child’s Certificate of Eligibility, you will need to send it to them so they can apply for their visa in your home country.

I recommend making a photocopy first and sending the Certificate by a reliable courier service. Your spouse/child will need the original Certificate of Eligibility to apply for the visa. The photocopy can help you apply for reissuance of the Certificate if it gets lost in the mail.

Visa requirements vary by country, so be sure to check the website of the Japanese Embassy in your country!

Making Travel Arrangements

Once you have the Certificate of Eligibility, your spouse’s dependent visa is all but guaranteed, so it’s safe to start making his or her travel arrangements to Japan.

Your spouse/child must arrive in Japan within 3 months of the date of issue on the Certificate of Eligibility (regardless of whether the visa has a later expiration date or not).

Congratulations! Your family will be together in Japan soon!

As always, please leave any questions or comments below and I will reply as soon as possible.

Get Notified about New Resources

Sign up below to receive email notifications whenever we have new resources about expat living in Japan.

* indicates required
Email Format


  1. Ashutosh 2021年10月8日
    • TranSenz 2021年10月9日
      • Ashutosh 2021年10月9日
        • TranSenz 2021年10月10日
          • Ashutosh 2021年10月10日
  2. shakiru 2021年10月5日
    • TranSenz 2021年10月6日
  3. Hector 2021年10月5日
    • TranSenz 2021年10月6日
      • Hector 2021年10月7日
  4. Saddaf Munir 2021年9月27日
    • TranSenz 2021年9月30日
  5. Mohnish 2021年8月30日
    • TranSenz 2021年8月31日
  6. Stephen 2021年7月6日
    • TranSenz 2021年7月10日
  7. Davide 2021年6月26日
    • TranSenz 2021年6月27日
      • Davide 2021年6月30日
        • TranSenz 2021年7月3日
          • Davide 2021年7月3日
          • TranSenz 2021年7月6日
  8. Ozi 2021年6月18日
    • TranSenz 2021年6月20日
      • Ozi 2021年6月20日
  9. Mati 2021年5月28日
    • TranSenz 2021年6月4日
      • a-san 2021年7月15日
        • TranSenz 2021年7月17日
  10. Josh 2021年5月18日
    • TranSenz 2021年5月19日
  11. Sapu Magar 2021年5月10日
    • TranSenz 2021年6月26日
  12. Jops 2021年5月4日
    • TranSenz 2021年6月3日
    • Anika 2021年7月2日
      • TranSenz 2021年7月5日
  13. Renae 2021年4月28日
    • TranSenz 2021年5月5日
  14. Donna 2021年2月24日
    • TranSenz 2021年2月25日
  15. Mousoom sum 2020年12月18日
    • TranSenz 2020年12月19日
      • Mousoom 2021年2月26日
        • TranSenz 2021年2月28日
  16. Rajasekhar 2020年12月16日
    • TranSenz 2020年12月17日
    • あゆ 2021年1月25日
      • TranSenz 2021年1月26日
  17. Long Bui 2020年12月4日
    • TranSenz 2020年12月5日
      • Long Bui 2020年12月6日
        • TranSenz 2020年12月7日
  18. Austin 2020年12月3日
    • TranSenz 2020年12月4日
  19. Alice 2020年11月18日
    • TranSenz 2020年11月19日
      • Alice 2020年11月27日
        • TranSenz 2020年11月28日
  20. Ange 2020年11月5日
    • TranSenz 2020年11月21日
  21. Penny 2020年10月23日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月24日
      • Max 2020年12月11日
        • TranSenz 2020年12月12日
  22. Yumi 2020年10月23日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月23日
      • Yumi 2020年10月23日
        • TranSenz 2020年11月14日
  23. Sumit Acharya 2020年10月13日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月14日
  24. Princess Navarro 2020年10月11日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月12日
  25. Marti 2020年10月8日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月10日
  26. Ani Hovyan 2020年10月1日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月2日
      • Ani Hovyan 2020年10月9日
  27. Dany 2020年9月16日
    • TranSenz 2020年9月17日
  28. Eli 2020年9月2日
    • TranSenz 2020年9月22日
  29. Kevin 2020年8月31日
    • TranSenz 2020年9月1日
  30. Loradel 2020年8月31日
    • TranSenz 2020年9月1日
      • Loradel 2020年9月2日
        • TranSenz 2020年9月3日
  31. Aika 2020年8月24日
    • TranSenz 2020年8月24日
      • Abhishek 2020年11月16日
        • TranSenz 2020年11月19日
  32. Naz 2020年8月13日
    • TranSenz 2020年8月14日
  33. Fumiko 2020年7月28日
    • Fumiko 2020年7月28日
    • TranSenz 2020年7月29日
  34. Amber Griffis 2020年7月26日
    • TranSenz 2020年7月27日
      • Amber Griffis 2020年7月27日
        • TranSenz 2020年7月28日
    • Yenhong 2020年9月26日
      • TranSenz 2020年9月27日
  35. Walter 2020年7月16日
    • TranSenz 2020年10月20日
  36. shadrack ocran 2020年6月8日
    • TranSenz 2020年6月11日
  37. Arun 2020年6月5日
    • TranSenz 2020年6月9日
  38. Mike 2020年4月6日
    • TranSenz 2020年4月8日
      • Mike 2020年4月8日
        • TranSenz 2020年4月10日
          • Mike 2020年4月18日
          • TranSenz 2020年4月19日
  39. Laura Tosi 2020年3月17日
    • TranSenz 2020年3月18日
      • Laura Tosi 2020年3月18日
        • TranSenz 2020年3月19日
          • Laura Tosi 2020年3月21日
          • Laura Tosi 2020年4月24日
          • TranSenz 2020年4月26日
  40. AA 2020年3月5日
    • TranSenz 2020年3月7日
      • AA 2020年4月7日
        • TranSenz 2020年4月9日
  41. Joanna 2020年2月19日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月20日
      • Joanna 2020年2月22日
      • Shah 2020年2月23日
        • TranSenz 2020年2月24日
          • Shah 2020年2月24日
  42. Rain 2020年2月15日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月17日
      • Rain 2020年7月4日
        • TranSenz 2020年7月16日
    • Lady Cale 2020年3月22日
      • TranSenz 2020年3月23日
  43. Paul 2020年2月13日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月16日
      • Paul 2020年2月18日
        • Paul 2020年2月18日
        • TranSenz 2020年2月20日
  44. Tulga Sergelen 2020年2月13日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月15日
  45. Neile roldan 2020年2月12日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月14日
  46. ARI 2020年2月5日
    • ARI 2020年2月5日
      • Nill 2020年2月9日
        • TranSenz 2020年2月11日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月8日
  47. Rupasinghe 2020年1月31日
    • TranSenz 2020年2月6日
  48. Kylie Yan 2020年1月28日
    • TranSenz 2020年1月31日
  49. Dang 2020年1月25日
    • TranSenz 2020年1月27日

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.